Wednesday, August 6, 2008

So I Graduated from College...Now What??













*Me and some of my family after graduation*


*Me and my boyfriend Kory (ain't he cute!)*






I find myself writing this blog because of one event...graduation. I am a proud member of "ONYX VII," Hampton University's Class of 2008.
Since that cold day in May, I've been trying to figure out what's next. I've always invisioned myself going to law school (Howard, Georgetown, Temple, Boston, NYU & American just to name a few), but when those LSATs came around, I put my head between my legs and anticipated a crash landing (let's just say it didn't go as I expected). LOL. Really though... I have deferred law school for a year and have been stuck wondering what the H*** am I supposed to do with a Liberal Arts Degree!!?! That's right, I went to college, graduated within the top 38% of my class, majored in Political Science and minored in Psychology and Pre-Law, I'm in Phi Alpha Delta Pre-Law Honor Society, Pi SIgma Alpha Political Science Honor Society and I'm a CLEO Scholar, but does that mean anything to anyone?? NO! Clearly I've been wasting the last 4 years away (in the books that is cause I sure did have a grand 'ole time partying it up). Maybe I should have been in Soulja Boy or Young Joc's music videos. Let me tell you... I know how to shake what ma momma gave me, and I don't need a degree to do it! Now I'm left with this over sized piece of paper that I spent at least $100,000 on. I could have went to Kinko's and got a lot more for my money.
Anywho... Once I decided to put off law school (or grad school) for a little while, I started looking for a job. Just a little something to do during my year off. As I was walking to my Spanish class last fall, I noticed a flyer advertising for Teach for America. It looked pretty interesting, so I decided to look into it (WAS THAT A WASTE OF TIME!). I filled out the application after the Spring Semester started, and would you know it, I got an e-mail. I passed the first round and they wanted a phone interview. So I waited by the phone, had the interview, and blew them away (I thought so anyway). After that I got another e-mail for a final interview. They had me running across campus getting letters of recommendation, transcripts, choosing cities where I wanted to teach and the grades and what not and making mini lesson plans, I thought I had it in the bag... was I wrong! I went up to Richmond (missed my Black Psychology class by the way) for the final interview. There were about 12 other people there so I thought we must have all made it and they wanted to see what we looked like before we were hired. Well... I guess I didn't have "I want to save the world and help the little ghetto children" look because sure enough, about 3 weeks later, I received that "We are sorry to inform you..." e-mail. WHAT!? Yall had me jumping through hoops, spending my hard earned money, and missing class to tell me I wasn't gonna make it?! Let's just say, I won't be recommending them to anyone!
So after that slap in the face experience, I started applying for jobs that I believed my glorified piece of paper would get me. I applied to law firms, government jobs, advertising firms and only two callbacks! One from the government where I had to take a test and a sports marketing firm where they wanted me to walk around to people's houses selling tickets to games... do they know who I am? Did they see the Hampton University graduate on my resumé? I know they say you have to start somewhere but I'll be D***** if walk around begging people to buy hockey tickets! I am an African American woman... I don't know ISH about hockey! So I took the test for the government job in May... I just got the test results back last week. Guess I won't be taking that position.
To bring an extra long story to a close, I went on Careerbuilders.com and I saw an advertisement for "Teach in Korea." Looked pretty interesting so I sent in my resumé and that was the beginning of my "Seoul Happenings." My boyfriend and some family members and friends were not too happy about my new living arrangements but finally accepted the fact that I'm leaving the country for 365 days. Surprisingly my mother is ecstatic (she says its a great opportunity. Personally, I think she tired of taking care of a 22 year old. I understand though. I may be her baby, but baby gots to go).
After that good 'ole New Jersey run-around, I finally got my criminal background check and sent all my visa documents off today. I finished packing up my apartment in Hampton last week, said my first tearful "I'll see you later" to my boyfriend (he's the best) and all my friends in NYC and will be leaving next week! It's a bitter sweet feeling. This is a great opportunity to experience new things, but I have it at the expense of leaving everyone behind. I'll miss them, but hopefully, they all will come and visit and I'll be back!
Until Next Time

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, if you dont make it as a lawyer, you could certainly make it as a writer. Your first entry is hillarious!

Anonymous said...

I like your new blog. Its funny lol. Be sure to write on it as often as possible. So I guess you're really leaving huh??.... Please be safe, watch every single person around you. Have fun and enjoy yourself. I'll be there in December getting off the plane with a bag in each hand, a bright button-down Hawaiin shirt, some beige slacks, some dark shades, a fresh cut, and a cigar lolol.... I Love you bookie.

Anonymous said...

I love it...maybe you're the Carrie of the group :-) I'm glad you've found a way to keep us all up to date on your new adventure without running up your phone bill. I wish you the best of luck. Enjoy yourself, it's a great opportunity. Wear those "traveling pants" I gave you and start the sisterhood off strong.
As for the comment about EKH being cute...Eve said it best, "Love is Blind". But whenever you start missing him, just go to the local zoo cause I'm sure they have gorillas/apes there...it's like looking at him in a cage. LOL.

Unknown said...

I told you some time ago that you were a cut above. I meant it when I initially said it and I continue to mean it with every essence of my being. There is a scripture that says God is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we can think or ask - my prayer for you is that He gives you more than you think about or ask for. Remember to keep Him first in your life and the blessings that He promises will continue to be yours.

I too will miss you. I wish you well in this new adventure and love you dearly. If there's anything I can do, please never hesitate to ask.

Fondly
Wm

Unknown said...

You are a great writer. This was the most hilarious thing I have read in a long time. I am glad that you started this I will now have to check it for updates every day. Good Luck and I am glad you know how to shake it.
-MILAN

granmom mimi said...

When I first saw you 22 yrs ago, I fell in love with those bright eyes and that little smile that said "I'm here, now watch me work." I told your mom you were going to be a humdinger and you proved me right. I'm so very proud of you, and I'm goin to miss you. We always told you to do you so you go ahead and shine baby. Maybe I'll get to South Korea next year, that would be fun. Remember keep God first in your life. Take care of yourself and be safe.LUV U MUCH

Look Who's Reading

Where People Are Reading