Sunday, February 8, 2009

Korea's Traditions and A Little Sight Seeing

So, I am capable of blogging within a week! You didn't have to wait 2 weeks from now to hear about my goings-on (although there isn't much).
Yesterday, I went to get Kory's gift for Valentine's Day but I can't pick it up until next Saturday (the day itself), so that means his present will be over a week late :( I'm such a bad girlfriend,, but I think he will really like what I'm getting him, at least I hope so.
I also went a bought a hair dryer. I actually found one kinda similar to what I used at home. I finally decided to buy one because I'm tired of having to re-do my hair after I leave the "salon."
It took me 4 hours from start to finish (yea, I dunno why it takes me so long), but I finished and my hairs looks good. It's not over greased, poofy, or weird in anyway. It's just the way I like it and I'm happy. I figured I'll only get my hair done when I need a perm.
So today was the wedding and I caught the bus to meet Kara. While on the jam packed bus, a lady whips out her boob and begins feeding her child...WOAH!!!Can you put that thing away!!?? I felt like I was in the horrifying spa again! Ok, I understand the child has to eat, but its called a BREAST PUMP! Get one, and later, when you're in a situation like that, you just whip out a bottle, not your boob GEEZ! And if I can't get a pump, I will get a cab or have someone take me where I need to go so I can have some privacy. Women all over the world are going way overboard with this thing. You know, I would have minded a blanket over herself. Just something...
Anywho...


these are the pictures from the wedding Kara and I went to today. Yo-hao (my former co-worker bka Raye) and her new husband Yang-chung were married at the Korean War Memorial Wedding Hall. It seems as though no one gets married in a church. Wedding halls are EVERYWHERE. Raye looked very pretty in her shimmering dress and her husband looked like a Korean "prince charming."
The entire ceremony was in Korean (except for the song at the end) so Kara and I had no idea what was going on except when we heard "kamsa hamnida" which means "thank you."
Korean weddings are a bit different from western ceremonies. First to enter are the mothers down the runway (yes, a runway) who lite the candles on the alter. Next is the groom down the runway (who walked down to "pomp-um-circumstance" (sp). Finally is the bride and her father. There are no bridesmaids, groomsmen, flower girl or ring bearer. Since its only about the bride and groom what's the need for extra people...
Throughout the ceremony, the bride and groom stand next to each other, not holding hands (I guess that's saved for the bedroom), while a man speaks. No vows or rings are exchanged, and the couple don't even speak to each other. Then they turn around and everyone claps. Next they go to the bride's parents and bow and then to the groom's parents and do the same. Ceremony time: 24 minutes. Although very short, the wedding was very pretty and the flowers were gorgeous. Raye looked happy and I hope she will be in her new life (although we miss her terribly at school).
Also, during the ceremony, its ok to talk. for the whole 24 minutes, there was nothing but constant chatter. Lemme just say, I will turn around and let people know to "shut up" on my day (if I even get married. Not trying to jinx anything).
After the wedding, I gave the cards I had to the bride's info desk and received 2 coupons to eat during the reception. Yea, bring some cash and, you get to eat. Maybe I should incorporate this tradition at my wedding (again, if I have one). It would definitely knock out the freeloaders. We didn't go to the reception because we were meeting Christina in Itaewon.
On our way to Itaewon, we stopped and took pictures at the War Memorial.





In Itaewon, we went to and Italian place for a late lunch/early dinner and then to a bookstore. I picked up a Korean phrasebook. I figured it's time that I stop pointing to things and actually learn the language. I can already read so why not step it up a notch?
Afterwards, I came home and prepped my lessons and now I'm talking to you.
So today is my Granma's Birthday!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRANDMA!!!! I won't tell you how old she is cause she might kill me. I love my Grandma. She's my 2nd Mommie. "Mother, the Sequel" I guess you could say. LOL. But really, I'm truely blessed to have her <3


*Me and Grandma Mimi when I was 3 and she was... :)*


I forgot, the thing I couldn't tell you about last week was that I'm going "suit casing" (my version of backpacking) around southeast Asia after my contract is up in September!! I'm really excited!! So far, we plan to go to Vietnam, the Philippines, Fiji and Bali. We haven't decided on our 5th place yet. So of course, this will push my arrival date in the U.S. back 4 weeks, but when will I ever get this opportunity again??
That's all for now
Until Next Time

3 comments:

E-Hop said...

Hi Bookie, Happy Vday! I miss you very much. Im sitting in a soap n suds waiting for my car to finish. Im writing this on my phone.... didnt know I cud do this :). Im glad u enjoyed the wedding. And making people pay for food is a great way to get rid of freeloaders lol. And wats with people with breastfeeding in public these days? I bet theres gonna be a law soon that prohibits thats.... and watch virginia be the first to enact it. Damn commonwealth (nothing against philly :)), i cant say wat i wanna do to this state wen i leave cuz this is a public site, but just read my mind....... anyway I couldnt see the pictures u posted cuz im on my phone but i'll try to find a way to see them later. I love you, be safe.
-Kory

P.S. wats the gift u got me? DOnt think I wont call ur mother n ask her... I KNOW she knows.....

Anonymous said...

Hey Babygirl,

Happy Valentine's Day! I'm glad you liked your gifts.

Tell those women to zip it up or at least carry something to cover it up. Yes the baby needs to eat, but does everyone have to participate in the meal?

Hope you have a great week.

Luv and miss ya much!!

Mommy

PS: Everett, you're not supposed to let her know that I tell you stuff. It's supposed to be a secret...lol
And yes I do know what she got you.

E-Hop said...

Lol!... oh i forgot, sorry!

Dont worry, she told me already :)

Look Who's Reading

Where People Are Reading