Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Up, Up and Away!!

So its official! I am leaving Philadelphia International Airport tomorrow at 7am! I have a 21 hour trip with one layover which isn't so bad. I got the call a couple nights ago and my recruiter gave me the go ahead to buy my ticket. I finished my last little bit of packing a little while ago and the total number of bags I have...FIVE! I actually don't think that's too bad. Two carry-ons and I'm checking three. My dad gave me a water jug full of change, and with that money I'll check my third bag. That was definitely great. Did you know that it cost $130 to check a third bag in addition to the arm and two legs this one way flight cost?? When I called the airline the lady told me "Pack light and you'll pack right!" Is she serious? How light can you pack when you're moving overseas for a year. I wanted to smack the you know what out of her... *Woosahh*. And with all the money spent on this flight I'm getting TWO meals!! I'll be in the air a total of 18 hours and they're only feeding me twice! Are they crazy?! Do they not know that people like to eat?? Particularly American people. So I've stocked up on some snacks and things (but of coarse no drinks. I might try to take the plane down with my bottle of white tea Snapple). But let me see a flight attendant getting her grub on anytime other then our TWO meals...
So mommie is taking me to the airport at 3am tomorrow morning. Well, I don't believe it ( but it's my mom I'm talking about so maybe I should), my mother has found a way to make it to the gate. Not the security check where the non holding ticket people have to stop, but the actual gate. That's right... she has managed to talk United into giving her a gate pass. How you ask? Well, she called United pretending to be a distressed daughter that had to leave her mom for a year and demands that her mother gets a gate pass to see her off. Leave it to my mom. She finds a way and if she can't find one...she will make her own.
On a more disturbing note, I found out that I have to get from Incheon International Airport (Seoul) to downtown Seoul (where my school director will be picking me up) on my own! That's right... no one would be there to say "Hi Welcome to CDI," "Can I take your bags?," or "This is our car." Instead, me and my 5 bags will be getting on a charter bus to downtown Seoul. Please pray that I don't end up on the wrong side of town. Maybe there will be someone on the flight that will be working for CDI too...or maybe not.
Anyway... did you see the Meac Swac Challenge on Sunday? Did you see Hampton send Jackson State home with their tiger tails between their legs? Now I'm not saying that Hampton played their butts off (some things could have been better), but Jackson State wrote some checks that their offense nor defense could cash.
And what is up with your Senator McCain and his VP Palin?? Does she really think that bashing Obama is making her look great?? But I won't get into that. That will start up some heated discussion and I want this to be fun.
I got my hair and eyebrows done this morning. I can't be going into another country with beads in my kitchen and a uni brow. I realize I'm representing Americans, and I know if I saw someone in my country looking a hot mess, it must be because the whole country looks a hot mess (and with that hot mess of a RNC going on I gotta show them we're all not "pit bulls").
I had dinner with my mom, brother, grandma, Kasey, Ms Battiste and Ms Ernie (part of my extended family) last night. We always have a ball when we get together.
My brother had his back to school night tonight. He goes to a private Christian academy, but if they knew the conversation my mother and I were having during the opening gathering, my brother would be asked to leave the school due to the inappropriateness of his mother and sister. Due to the potential children that could be reading this, I won't be able to disclose our conversation, but if you know about my mother's bluntness and and her ability to speak without censorship, you have an idea about the topics. What can I say? She may be inappropriate but that makes her Carla...the HEAD DIVA.
I'm going to miss everyone so much. What am I going to do without my family dinners at my Pop Pop's house, talking about church going-ons at Ms Battiste's, shopping with mommie, late night talks to Kory, HU randomness and the list goes on. I guess I'll figure something out, but it won't be as good as it is here.
I contacted everyone in one way or another to tell them "I'll see you later." That was a long list of people but I wouldn't have done it any other way. For those of you who didn't answer their phones this evening, check their facebook or text messages. I am saying "I'll see you later." I love you all. Please keep me in your prayers as you will be in mine.
My next entry will be from SOUTH KOREA!!
Until Next Time :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

:(.... well I guess your really leaving. You better finda way to contact me within 24 hours of you landing there. Hijack a phone, Send smoke signals..... somethin. Cuz if I dont hear from you, im gonna have drive to san fransisco and swim across the pacific and come get you. And you dont want me to do that do you?? I love you bookie, Im praying for you, and goodluck.... see you in December! And remember, Dont talk to strangers.... TRUST NO ONE!!

Ceejayluke said...

Got luck AviBear...(you guys should get matching tattoos...aviebear and brown bear)...godspeed...

sue said...

I heard the Alicia Keys song you sang to us at work on the radio today and it made me think of you. That seems like yesterday. You are an amazing young woman! I look forward to reading all about your experiences. Be safe. xoxo

Look Who's Reading

Where People Are Reading