Friday, September 12, 2008

What You've Been Waiting For... That's Right. I'm In South Korea!!

Well, longtime no blog. I'm still trying to figure out how to use the internet in my "dungeon" (what I so affectionately call my studio apt), so I'm at an internet cafe. I figured I couldn't keep you waiting any longer.
Because I haven't blogged in a week and so much has happened, this entry will be broken up by days.
If you don't have time, I suggest you not read this now. Wait until you have a couple of free hours to dive into my "Seoul Happenings."
For those with plenty of time to spare, grab some popcorn and your favorite drink...don't worry. I'll wait...waiting...still waiting...OK. Done? Good. Here we go!

Day 1 - 09/05 (EST): What the F***?

So I woke up Friday morning and thought "OMG! I'm going to Korea!" The excitement that flowed through my body just about kept me up the night before. But anyway, I got up. Got dressed lugged my five suitcases down the steps and into the car. Said "I'll see you later" to my dad and brother, and then, my mother and I were off to the airport. Now my mother can't see at night when she drives (how she does it? don't ask), and we left home around 3:30am. So what does that mean?...It's dark! So we're driving around the airport and seeing as though she can't see, I'm trying to read the signs for short term parking. After circling the airport a couple times, we finally found the sign and instead of going were I tell her, she screams "It's right there!" Really mom? Right there??... WRONG! If you can't see how you gonna tell me where something is?? Just drive and stop trying to navigate. YOU CAN'T SEE! But anyway, what can you say, I love her.
Anyway, we find a parking spot and make our way to the ticket counter and the little machine says "Documents needed. Please ask for assistance." Well, I asked the wrong person because he tells me "You HAVE to have a round-trip ticket when leaving the country. Even if you have a year long visa." Really Icabob?? You're a foreigner yourself! How are you gonna tell me I can't leave my country whenever I get good and well pleased. I don't know how they do it in "West Bubblefu**" or where ever you're from, but this is America. Move out my way! So I ask a competent person and they just needed to see my visa to see the duration of my stay. So after my tickets printed out, it was time to check my bags. First bag on the scale: 66.8lbs. Second bag: 62.7lbs. Third bag: 51.2. That's right! All of them over weight! Luckily, The man only charged me for two bags. So after I checked my bags, here comes Icabob. "How did you did you print her ticket? It's one way." The other gentleman explained that my visa is for one year and I'm going to teach. So Icabob, get out my face and go somewhere!
Next comes my moms gate pass. "ID please" says the man behind the counter. My mother looks through her purse and says "I can't find it." WHAT!!?? You're going to tell me that after all that "finangleing" to get a gate pass and you can't find your licence? You wait until September 5, 2008 at 4:19am to loose your license??! ARE YOU KIDDING ME??! So with that said, no mommy at the gate. Where were we stuck sitting? That's right... at security! And of coarse my plane was delayed. Geez mommie. Of all the times...
About 45 minutes before my flight, I talked to my grandma on the phone, gave my mom a long hug and kiss "I'll see you later," shed some tears and went through security. It was hard walking away. God works in mysterious ways, because I think if she was at the gate, I wouldn't have got on the plane. I talked to Kory and called mommie on my cell before the plane left and then I was off! I actually flew over my house and my neighborhood. Don't ask me how I know. I just do. I've taken planes enough and there are visible signs from the air to tell where you are if you know the area.
So my flight wasn't too full so I had the row to myself. I stretched out across the seats, took my pillow and ipod and went to sleep. I woke up three hours into the flight, had my shot glass full of orange juice, (because that's how big the cup is) and we were landing in San Fransisco.
I had about a two hour layover, so while I was there I changed some US money into Korean won, talked to mommie, Kory, Mr William and my big sister from Hampton on the phone, charged my cell, and it was time to board the plane. Flight from US to Korea: 200 Koreans, 20 Caucasians, and 3 African Americans (myself included). That was awkward, but I guess it was going to be a test run of the next year. So we took off and had our first meal of the flight. Chicken/Beef, rice with veggies, roll brownie, and the shot glass full of water or whatever. After we eat, I noticed that it was kinda dark on the plane. Well everyone closed their windows. Why? I don't know? But since this is my first real over seas flight (I've flown to San Juan but that doesn't count) I wanted too look out of the window. So what its only water and clouds... Well the Korean flight attendant (yes mommie, their were some Korean flight attendants) comes and tells me to close my window because everyone can see the light (DUH! Its only 2:30pm. What do they need to sleep for??). But she doesn't ask in a friendly way. It was kinda like, "If you don't close it, me and my gang will show you how to close it." Well, "when in Rome, do as the Romans." So I closed my window. I had a little personal TV, so I watched 'Desperate Housewives' and listened to the "Air radio." Next on the flight was our snack. Chinese noodles and our last meal was lasagna and forgive me but I don't remember what else.
About 11 hours and 20 minutes later, I arrived at Incheon International Airport. I went through customs, got my passport stamped, and went to gather my luggage. After putting 4 bags on their carts made for 2, I had to find the charter bus ticket booth (remember, I had no welcome to Korea welcome wagon pick me up from the airport) and make my way to the City Air Terminal, about 50 minutes away. After being harassed by some Korean taxi drivers, I finally got my ticket and was able to make it to the bus. After about a 10 minute wait I was off to downtown Seoul. Mommie called me while I was on the bus and I told her my phone was dying and to call me after I spoke to my recruiter and made it to my apt (little did I know that my apt was going to be a closet. But I'll talk about that later).
So I made it to the City Air Terminal in downtown Seoul and my school director and lead teacher met me there. After telling me I bought the most bags out of anyone and rearranging everything so it all fit in the car as well as us, we were off to my apt. After some conversation and a 30 min ride we pull up to a pretty modern looking building at about 8pm Saturday evening Korean time. OOooo I thought. This is going to be nice. So lead teacher shows me this little credit card looking thing and shows me how to use it to get into the front door of my building. While we're taking my luggage to the building, i notice that they are walking DOWN the stairs. "Why down?" I think. Would you like to know why? Not because the elevator is downstairs, not because it leads to a special passage but because I live UNDER THE BUILDING! That's right. Not the first floor. More like a negative 1 floor. OMG!
So we walk to the last door and there's a hidden keypad where I need to enter a code. So I think, OK, I live downstairs but this is really nice. Very modern. Surely my apt will be fantastic. Well... she pushed some buttons, open the door and I think, "WHERE THE H*** IS THE REST OF IT?" That's right. My "Studio apartment" more resembles my freshmen year dorm room... but half the size! Granted, I have a kitchen "area," a bathroom (mind you, I have no shower. Just a shower head next to the sink), and they gave me an 8 pack of toilet paper, a big bottle of water and orange juice, and some chocolate cake looking thing. After they show me how to use a couple of things they leave me in my room and tell me that Janice (the lead teacher) will be there tomorrow around 2pm to show me how to get around, get to school, and catch the subway.
So I'm trying to look at the bright side and I start unpacking and go to call my recruiter... "This number is not in the directory." Are you kidding me?!! I try another number and I get the same automated message. I think maybe there's a country code that I'm not dialing. I'll call mommie. THE SAME MESSAGE! Then I try adding the country code... I get an automated message in Korean then it says "Calls from this phone have been temporarily suspended." I try it again and again. Calling different people. But nothing worked! OMG!!!! I can't call ANYONE! And to top it off... MY PHONE DIES and US plugs don't fit into Korean sockets! I'm screwed! All I can do is lay in my bed and cry... all night. I can't call anyone. I can't let anyone know I'm OK. I'm in this dungeon of a room. My phone is dead. It was such a depressing feeling.
So 5 hours into my endless crying and I try to turn on my phone. It comes on and stays on for a little while and what happens. I get a text message! Its from Kory (I know that was no one but God working because of all the prayers many of you have sent my way. If that was any other time, my phone would not have come on). I texted him back, tell him what's going, tell him to call my mom, and that I'm scared and want to come home. NOW. And as my phone is receiving his next message, my phone died again! That made me cry even harder. So that went on for a little less than an hour until my phone completely shuts down and doesn't come back on. All I can do is cry even more. I just wanted to find the airport and go back home. I had no idea where I was and there is no phone in my room. Just the phone intercom. I finally fell asleep around 8am Sunday morning and woke up at 1pm Sunday afternoon (Korean time).

Day 2 - 09/07 (Korean Time): Tears of Joy...Or Are They?
(There is no 09/06 because I arrived in Korea Saturday night. 13 hours ahead of EST)

So around 2:30 pm, Janice come to my apt and tells me that my mom has been calling my recruiter because she's worried and can't find me. Thank goodness. I know at least 2 people are worried now. Mommie and Kory. After showing me around some of my neighborhood and showing me how to catch the subway, she takes me to my school introduces me to the American teachers (this weekend is Korean Thanksgiving so they had class last Sunday since there will be no class this next Monday) and then has me call my recruiter. When I speak to him, I tell him about my phone and it not working and he tells me that he has spoken to my mom numerous times and is about to call the American Embassy to report me missing! He tells me to call her right away but after I hang up with him, I find out that my school does not have international calling! Well one of the teachers lent me her calling card and after 15 minutes of trying to figure out how to use the card on Janice's Korean cell phone, we finally got it to work and I heard my mom's voice. I started crying right then because it felt as though I wouldn't be able to talk to her again.
After a very short phone call, I got to email her, Kory, and grandma on one of the school's computers. I told them what all was going on and to relay the message to everyone else. I also informed them to get some money together because I wanted to come home. The entire time I was typing I had to try my best not to cry, although there were a steady stream of tears running down my face. After I sent the email, I was talking to one of the American teachers who told me she could pick up a converter (something I can plug my American cords into and then plug it into the Korean socket) for me. I have her pick up two, but she can't get them until tomorrow. I gave her the money and told her that I'd be back the next day to pick them up.
Afterward, I sat it on two English memory classes taught by one of the American teachers. He is from Florida and is African American. So at least 6 days a week, I will see someone who looks like me. I felt a little better after that. And having someone there that I can relate to will hopefully be a little less intimidating. After classes, Janice gave me this little card, which looks like one of the discount cards you get at the supermarket and tells me to put money on it because it is my subway card. Really? Did I not just get here. How the H*** am I supposed to do that. Well, one of the American teachers took me to a convenience store and put 5,300 won on it. That was my "Welcome to Korea" gift. So after I received the directions on how to get to the training building the next morning, I left and made my way to my building. As I was walking I thought things were getting better and would be great when I got the converter so I could charge my phone and computer and have a link to everyone at home.
Well, when I got home, my feelings of calmness came to a screaming halt. Why? Well, because when I got to my building, MY KEY CARD DIDN'T WORK!! My eyes started to water again and all I could think was how fast I could get on the next plane back to the States. I thought maybe my phone deactivated my key card. I hurried back to my school to see if I could catch someone before they left. I thought would if no one was there? I decided that if I couldn't find anyone, I'd asked "American Embassy?" Surely someone could point me in the right direction. Thankfully when I got back to my school, not only was Janice there but so was the director. I tried to explain the problem and they kept telling me it worked and to do it again. They weren't listening to what I was saying. So I left, and cried the entire walk back home. I really wanted to find out where the US Embassy was.
So I get back to my building and keep trying to open the door with the card and NOTHING! So being the cry baby that this experience has turned me into, I did what I knew best...cried. As I was crying, I glanced to the left and noticed a very similar building to the one I was standing in front of. I could have slapped the S*** out of myself. I WAS TRYING TO GET INTO THE WRONG BUILDING!! My building is the second one. In my defence, everything is written in Korean. How was I supposed to tell the difference?? So after I finally made it into my apt, I dressed for bed, said my prayers as usual, and went to sleep in my empty quiet room. By that time, my ipod also died so it was completely silent. I cried. Again (do you notice a pattern going on here?). I think it was more mental than anything. For the past 22 years there was always someone either in person or over the phone to say goodnight and good morning to no matter where I was and someone to hug; but that wasn't the case. I went to bed alone in room with no one other than myself and woke up the same way. It's very depressing. One of the many lessons that I have learned so far since I've been in Korea... Don't take for granted your family and the people who love you the most. It's the simple things that make you feel complete.

Day 3 - 09/08: With the Good Comes the Bad

I woke up the next morning got dressed and headed out for training. I followed the directions exactly as I was told and took the subway. Have you ever seen the commercials where there are Asian people dressed in uniforms pushing and cramming people onto a train? Well, that is how its like in Korea. Not all the time, not for every subway line and not for every station. Why? Because people cram themselves onto the train. There is literally people on top of people. It's so packed that there is no need to hold on to anything because the people hold up each other. Seeing as though I'm not a big people person and I'm all about my personal space (6 feet on all sides please unless I know you). I felt so uncomfortable. People rubbing up against me, the stares, because clearly, I stand out, and the BO (body odor for those of you who are shorthand challenged). Now I'm not trying to be mean or anything because I'm sure every country has its own smell as well as their people. But have you ever been up close to an Asian person and their breath has a funny smell? Maybe garlicky I guess? Well...the whole train smelled like that. Maybe it's the tooth paste and/or soap they use but it was bad. Thank goodness the train was air conditioned because that could have been a lot worse.
Sixteen stops later (the crowd finally did die down some so it wasn't a tight) and I was at my destination. I'm thankful that the train stops were announced in English as well as Korean because I probably would have missed my stop. So I got off the subway and had to leave the station at exit 2 (each station has different entrances and exits. If you get out the station at the wrong exit, you could be a block up to 4 blocks away from your intended destination). When I got above ground I was completely lost. The actual map I was given had no street signs. Just some arrows, a McDonald's and the building I was to go to. I guess the complete confusion I felt was written all over my face because a woman pulled over and asked if I needed help (I have found out that many Koreans are friendly and are willing to go out of their way to give help). The woman spoke English which was a plus but was not familiar with where I needed to go but did point in the direction of the McDonald's (at least she thought so).
So I started walking in the direction she told me. After about five minutes and no sign of a McDonald's, I started to get upset. But then walking in my direction was a man with red hair. Now you and I both know there are no naturally red headed Koreans, so I said excuse me... He's an American (again, no one but God sent him in my direction. "He's an on time God. Yes He Is"... I'm about to have Church in here. lol)! He's a student in Korea from Los Angeles and offered to walk me to where I needed to go. As we were walking, he gave me some tips on being an American living in Kore and before I knew it, I was in front of where I need to be. I gave him my heartfelt thanks and went inside. I was about five minutes late so I hurried to the 4Th floor and found the room and orientation had already begun. The trainer welcomed me, gave me my binder and I sat in the back. As I looked around, I saw that I was the only African American there. I am getting use to it so it wasn't too bothering. After orientation was over, we had to go to the hospital to get a health check. Height, weight, vision, BP, chest x-ray, blood, and pee in a cup. The usual, but I hate giving blood, and I knew if I had a panic attack they would have thought I was crazy and shipped me back to the States on the first thing smoking (if you're from HU you get it. lol). So I took a breath, she took my blood, and it was done. After I went number 1 in the cup I was told to just sit it on a cart... uncovered, out in the open. Ill... Obviously Koreans aren't that big on things like that covered up.
After the health check, all the trainees went to the COEX Mall for an early dinner (I don't think I mentioned before that I hadn't eaten anything since the plane ride. That's right. My nerves were so jumpy that I had no appetite and wasn't really sleeping). I got chicken with fried rice and kimchi (like spicy cabbage). It was really good and I had a good time talking to the other trainees. The majority of them are from the west coast (boo!! lol. East Coast!!!)
After dinner, I took the subway home but made at stop at my school. I had to pick up my converters! YAY!
After I got them, I practically ran home to plug in and charge my phone. When I walked in my building (the right one this time), I threw everything onto my bed and started charging right away. The first thing I did was text mommie and Kory. "Phone is charging!! PLEASE CALL!!!" That was the message they got. I waited and waited and the first to call was mommie. Soon as I answered, I broke down in tears. Just hearing her voice after so long felt so good. We talked for almost an hour. Right after we hung up, I talked to Kory and the tears just came coming. It was Monday night and I hadn't spoken to them since Friday and Saturday. I was so so thankful that I could finally talk to them and hear them say they loved me and to tell them I loved them. Kory told me he had a passing in his family and I just wished I could be with him. Times like that are really hard to deal with. I'm praying for you and your family everyday Kory and remember, each day is a little better than the last. If I could have called and talked to everyone I would have, but hopefully you've heard from someone that I'm ok.
After talking to them, my heart and mind were at ease but I was still a little depressed. I wanted to go home. But I was also able to charge my ipod and went to sleep in a not so quiet space. But before I went to sleep, my toilet clogged up. It seemed as though as soon as I had an up, something slapped me back down.

Day 4 - 09/09: Hooters in Korea

I woke up Tuesday morning a little down. I called Kory and had another break down. Where I am isn't home and I just wanted to be in my comfort zone. After talking to both Kory and mommie, they reassured me that everything would be ok and I needed to get out and explore my new surroundings. We also set up a little calling schedule. They both call me in the morning (early evening EST), around noon (bedtime EST), and in the evening (morning EST) with text messages all inbetween.
After the phone calls, I got dressed and headed for the subway. While I was on the train, grandma called. Another voice that was good to hear. As I was talking to her I found myself tearing up again. Just knowing that these voices coming out of my phone are on the other side of the world and I can't put a face with these voices until I get my monitor working and use my webcam and can't hug them for about 4 months when they come to visit.
I made my way to training and found out that I would be teaching "English Chip" and "Memory English." Both are two different levels of English speaking at my school. The first being the lower level but both classes containing a mixture of elementary and middles school students. Each level has sublevels. "English Chip" having 4 and "Memory English" only 3. So we had our training from 9:30 - 3:30 with a 1 hour break inbetween.
We also had to take a grammar test and if you know me, you know that me and English grammar do not get along. I failed the test, but retook it on Thursday.
During training, I found out that one of the trainees who is also a Korean but lived in NYC for a couple years lives down the street from me. Literally. We are at the same subway stop and exit. We decided to meet the next morning and take the train together. At lunch we went to a Korean restaurant and I had some authentic food again. It was ok. I could get use to it.
After class was finished some of us (trainees) went to Hooters close to downtown Seoul to clebrate one of the trainee's birthday. We got there around 5 and me and two other trainees left around 9. It was dark and I wasn't that familar with the area (plus I had to take the subway then transfer to another subway to get home).
I got home and felt much better than how I felt that morning. I did my homework (boy did I have a lot of homework throughout training. I though I was back at HU) and had my goodnight calls to mommie and Kory, turned on my ipod and went to sleep.
BTW... My toilet is still clogged.

Day 5 - 09/10: E-MART!

Nothing much on Wednesday. Just my usual phone calls and text messages to mommie and Kory.
After Juile (the girl that lives down the street from me) and I caught the subway home after training, her and her mother took me to E-Mart. It's like the Korean version of Walmart. I got a plunger for that stopped up toilet of mine, some food and juice (I'm eating now!), and after seeing the price of pots, plates cups and a microwave (things that should have been in my apt but weren't), Julie and her mother offered to give me somethings from their home, but not little things. They gave me some pots so I could cook, a plate set and silverware, a toasterover (from the States!) which was great because I perfer a toasteroven over a microwave anyday, food containers, hangers, and a couple other things (I said before Korean people are very nice and friendly and God is sending me the best of them. Thanks for your prayers!). They also helped me figure out my address. Wednesday was a really great day... besides all of my homework.

Day 6 - 05/11: A Night On The Town and Fried Chicken In Korea

After training and my make up grammar test, we all went back to downtown Seoul and went to a chicken and beer place (fried chicken as well as other types). They ordered three huge pitchers of beer (don't worry. Everyone knows that I hate beer) and lots of chicken. A Korean custom is the youngest person sitting at a table has to serve his/her elders. Since I was the youngest at the table, I poured everyone a mug of beer and then someone poured my glass of water (I'll go more into Korean customs when I have time but another is usually the oldest person has to pay for everything). Now everyone knows that I hate serving other people (food and drink wise) because people are to D*** picky but I had no problem pouring drinks... lol... but I didn't mind. I didn't have to do it, but I figured whiule I was here, I mind as well embrace the culture. After our night out, I went home, did my homework, had my phone calls to mommie and Kory, and went to bed.

Day 7 - 09/12: End Of Trainning At Last!

So today was our last day of training! I passed my grammar test (yay!) and my mock teaching with flying colors! I signed my official contract and surprisingly, I teach my first class tomorrow!! I have been writing this entry for the past 4 1/2 hours now in an internet cafe (waiting for my computer monitor in my apt/room). It's called "Let's Play! The Internet cafe that resemble like nature." That's right. There's no "s" at the end of "resemble." Its Korea. What can I say. But my 5 hours are almost up. Its 11:37 pm Friday night and I still have to walk home. Sorry about the grammar and spelling errors in this but I should be going. There's a lot more to talk about but I have to go home and prep for my class tomorrow. After class, I'll be back to finish telling you about my "Seoul Happenings."
Told you this would be long!
Until Next Time!
Sarangheh ("I Love You" in Korean)
And Please Continue to Pray for me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Entertaining as usual.Except for the 8,000+ miles, it's like you never left home, we still talk 2-3 times a day. I'm glad you're finally settling in. Hope the monitor gets there soon, I want to see you.

I'm really proud of how you are handling yourself and this experience.

Be safe, have fun and come home to us soon.

See you in February!

Mommy

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear you arrived safely and that with each day it's getting better. I'm proud of you girl!!! You're doing it all on your own now...but lets be serious, you were the most random cry baby in VA too, Korea hasn't changed you that much, LOL.
Be safe and enjoy yourself.

Anonymous said...

God is so good. Im glad you were about to overcome everything despite the tears and the breakdowns. Thanks for your prayers as well. I love you Bookie, and keep on making me proud!

Unknown said...

Man this is an amazing! I am so happy that you have adjusted so well and have been blessed with amazing people!

Look Who's Reading

Where People Are Reading