Thursday, January 15, 2009

Trying To Fight The Funk

Just a quick update on things on the this side of the ocean. I'm doing ok, been better, but I'm breathing so I really can't complain. Although my breathing has been a little funny lately, but I have asthma, better yet I'm growing out of it, so I should say I'm on the tail end of asthma, but not being able to breathe sometimes is horrifying. The little boy on the commercial summed it up best. It feels like you're a fish out of water. I dunno why they've been increasing lately. Probably because of the extreme cold air. Who knows?
This weather is ridiculous though. I walk outside and my face gets numb. I don't think I've ever experienced this type of cold. And everyone knows how I get when I get too cold. I go into dry heaving. Yea...I'm a weirdo. Who dry heaves anymore? That's so out. But really. It's that cold. Even people's disgusting saliva that's splattered all over the ground is frozen. YUCK. But really, if it has to be this cold, can a girl get some snow? I don't mean the little dusting we've been getting. I mean 10 inches of all out powdery snow. If you can make it happen, let me know. I wouldn't mind seeing some snow.
I went to Bundang (a suburb of Seoul) with Christina on Saturday to visit Kara and some of her friends. We had a really good time. Her LOFT is huge and she has floor to ceiling windows. I found myself just staring out of them enjoying the view, since all I get is the view of concrete, but at least I have a window.
I went to the bank on Monday to wire some money home and I find out that the lady put my bank's routing number where my account number should be and her name instead of mine as the beneficiary. Now, I've gone to this woman before, and my money was in my US account the next day, but I don't know what her problem has been lately. When Kory was here, we went to exchange some money and I had to go cause they were taking forever and I had school. After he was finished, he came past school and I asked to see his bank slip. He exchanged $140 but only got 153,000 won. That sounded way off to me. I went online to check the exchange rate and I was correct. When I looked at his slip closely, I saw that she wrote $140, but on the computer typed in $120. So Kory went back and said she apologized profusely and gave him his money. Let's see if I have that same luck today. Since she screwed everything up, I have to go back and redo the transaction. Don't she know I got bills and ISH to pay?! What is she trying to do, take my hard earned money (which isn't much to begin with), but hey I'm looking on the bright side. At least I have money for them to F*** up.
I didn't get much sleep last night. About 2 hours total, but not a straight 2 hours. 15 minutes here, 30 minutes there. I'm not too tired yet, but I'm sure I'll crash during my 7pm class. Although I couldn't sleep, I'm grateful to have a bed to lay in.
I went and got my hair done this morning. Now, when I went to go see her before Kory got here, she did my perm great but the style I wanted (very simple) turned out to be a disaster. The long flowing curls I showed her in a picture was far from the tight, stiff, over greased mess she did to my hair. But anywho, I really needed my hair done. I told her VERY LIGHT GREASE and it's very light alright. I have a little of that thick crap she uses but absolutely NO Olive Oil. She told me she ran out! How can you conduct a business without the proper supplies? Geesh! But looking on the bright side, I have a flat iron and Olive Oil here so I can fix it (which I have found myself always doing after getting my hair done).
I've been in this funk that I can't seem to shake (maybe that's why I didn't sleep last night). I think it's because everyone I'm close to is where I want to be. Home. Even though I'm making the best out of my time here, its just not the same. I don't think I will ever get use to this silence. When I'm on a bus or subway at the peak of rush hour, I still feel completely alone but it comes with the territory. Did I really expect to strike up a conversation with someone? Silly Avi. But seriously, I try my best to stay in the most positive moods but then something happens and it feels not like I'm drowning, but more like I'm fighting to stay afloat. Sounds like drowning but really isn't. Maybe I'm just not trying hard enough to enjoy my time to myself. Guess I'll start trying harder. Eh.
Also the time difference makes it hard to talk to someone when I really need it. It reminds me of the Song "Silver and Gold." I called on my best friend, she could not be found. So what am I doing? I'm calling on Jesus. He'll help me get through it. Like I always say, I have no other choice but to get over it, right?
And please keep my dad in your prayers. And my entire family. He got a little sick earlier in the week.
Sorry this entry may seem down, but I'm just giving my true life story in Seoul. If you don't like it, then don't read it. If you read it, don't complain that I'm being too negative and what not. Unless you're here and walking in my shoes, you can't say what you would do or feel. You're home, comfortable with your family. And you never know what's going on in some one's life, so don't judge.
Until Next Time

3 comments:

E-Hop said...

Keep doing what your doing Bookie. It will all pay off. Im glad to see your thinking positive. Keep it up.... Im sure all ur hard work and struggle is not in vain. I keep telling you, you're there for a reason. It wasnt a mistake. So make it count, youre doing fine. I miss you very much. Im praying for you and your family as always.
Love You very much
-Kory

P.S. I wrote a blog below this one.... finally got my computer to operate right and post pictures and even a video, took my a few hours so enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Hey babygirl,

glad to see that you're trying to remain positive even when you're feeling differently.

Everett was right when he said that you were there for a reason, you might not know what that reason is but I'm sure it will be revealed. Just keep on leaning on and trusting in GOD, because he'll get you through it.

Hope you've got something fun planned for this weekend. BTW, look for a surprise in the mail.

Enjoy the rest of your week.

luv and miss ya much!!

Mommy

Anonymous said...

Hello!
My name is Minjee Kang and I am a student of Sookmyung Women's University in Korea.

First of all I appreciate your consideration about Korea. I would like to introduce Korean culture more, so would like to me send you an e-mail address?

My e-mail address is smpkmj69@naver.com
I will wait your e-mail. Thank you very much. :)

Look Who's Reading

Where People Are Reading